This is a typical Kaunas administrative building whose structure and composition were set not just by its corner location, but also by its two-fold function. As it pertains to a significant object of public importance, architectural solutions had to create the impression of solidity and representation. The building, consisting of two four-storey blocks, housed all county government offices (Laisvės avenue) and the Security Department (Vytauto Blvd.). Through years of occupation, politically inconvenient people were tortured and killed in Security palace cellars. During the first Soviet occupation (1940) the cruelest NKVD executions were carried out in a specially transformed garage. In the end of the 20th century, the garage was reconstructed. Year: 1932–1933. Style: Modernism. Architect Vytautas Landsbergis-Žemkalnis.