The fort was barely touched during the two world wars. During the interwar period, it served as a military prison, where the so-called four communards accused of organizing a coup were imprisoned and shot on December 27, 1926, on the orders of Antanas Smetona. During the World War II, about 35,000 prisoners of war were killed in this fort. Later, a hill of crosses was formed here in memory of thousands of victims. The exhibition of military equipment of Vytautas the Great War Museum was moved to this fort from the capital and immediately liked by the citizens and guests of Kaunas.