At the foot of the hill from which a beautiful panorama of Kaunas old town opens, in 1932 a wooden house was built for Juozas Gruodis, a preeminent Lithuanian composer, and his wife Stasė.
Designed by the famous interwar architect F. Vizbaras, the authentic house reminiscent of a small, wooden Lithuanian manor is distinguished not only by its architecture but also the landscape. The interior, reflecting the period of composer’s life, contains two memorial rooms that speak of the most important moments of the couple’s life and tells the Gruodžiai family story. Today, poetry events, concerts, educational programs are offered to the public here.
Kaunas City Museum represents the history of the city and commemorates its' legendary citizens. The museum has five departments: Kaunas Castle, Kaunas Town Hall, Folk Music Branch, Mikas and Kipras Petrauskas House, and Juozas Gruodis House.