Museum Back to list

Maironis Lithuanian literature museum

Rotušės a. 13, Kaunas +370 37 207 477 info@maironiomuziejus.lt www.maironiomuziejus.lt Adults - 3 EUR, schoolchildren, students, seniors - 1 EUR II - VI 9 AM - 5 PM, closed on the last day of every month

Now it is a rear baroque house of a wealthy citizen, which is titled by the status of supreme cultural monument. In 1909, Maironis after had returned from Petersburg to Kaunas, he purchased the mansion, repaired it in a year, slightly changed the decoration of the pediment and inscribed 1910. J. Maironis in it. He settled in eight rooms of the second floor and the remained part of the mansion reserved for the Lithuanian cultural organizations. In this part of the mansion there was established the first Lithuanian library-athenaeum in Kaunas, Catholic Women Association, Craft School, the edit of the magazine Garnys, publishing office Sakalas. Marcele Maciulyte lived in that mansion together with her brother poet; they together provided education for their sister’s Kotryna Lipciene children. Maironis Lithuanian Literature Museum (than it was named Maironis Museum) was founded on the 28th June, 1936 on the fourth anniversary of poet’s death. The press of the day wrote about the opening of the museum: At Sunday, the 28th of June, at 12 o’clock in 5 Muziejaus St. (today – 13 Rotuses Sq.), in the same mansion and residence, where lived and worked the great national bard Jonas Maciulis-Maironis, museum was opened. Museum was opened in behalf of the Minister of Education by director of Cultural Department dr. Antanas Juska.

 

Read more

You may also like

Close

Check the archives! Latest issue

Subscribe a newsletter